10 Benefits of Volunteering
Volunteering may not be the first fun activity that comes to your mind when you think about how to spend your free time away from your studies, but it has proven to be one of the most rewarding. Read more about the many benefits that can be obtained through a volunteer experience.
- Professional experience. Volunteering in an industry that you are studying or looking to get a career in will boost your professional experience.
- Resume experience. This can accompany the professional experience, but regardless of whether you are volunteering in your industry or not, adding another activity to your resume will also help. Not only will it help fill it out, but it will give you more experiences to be able reference during an interview.
- Network. Volunteering is a great indirect way to make connections and expand your network.
- Develop new skills. Volunteering in any field will help you develop new skills and strengthen others. This is important for personal and professional growth.
- Stress relief. Studies have shown that volunteering can be a great outlet for stress. Since you are focused on helping others, you will not spend as much time worried or stressing over your own personal situations.
- Healthiness. Being stress-free or managing your stress is part of being healthy. Self-confidence, mental and physical happiness also accompany healthiness and volunteering produces these positive effects.
- Strengthens community. Volunteering in the community is an aspect that demonstrates passion for others or a cause. It is a way to show support and strengthen the community.
- Gain new perspectives. The more experiences you have, the more opportunities you will have to gain new or different perspectives, which may involve important life lessons.
- Leadership. Leadership is a trait that most employers look for in job candidates. It is an aspect that
- Display self-motivation. Volunteering is one of the most convincing factors of self-motivation. It shows that you, as an individual, are motivated to help others and to broaden your horizons with new experiences.
Volunteering is a commitment that you will be able to reap the many benefits now and in the future. Jones College encourages you to explore the many different volunteering opportunities that interest you. Get involved in your community today!